Friday, July 19, 2013

Tomorrow . . .

Today was very, very hot . . . the heat index is still 97 at 5:00 p.m.  Horses came in early - I caught Dawn and Pie when then were just getting uncomfortable and didn't need to be hosed off.  Red was way out in the far pasture - about a half mile from the barn, and as usual, cool as a cucumber.  But once his halter was on, he was on a mission - to get to Pie, who was already in the barn.  He tried to trot, and tried to pass me, a few times, and kept calling to Pie.  Finally, I unclipped him - he walked free next to me for a few strides, then I told him to go and he exploded into gallop and headed back up to the barn.  I met him there - he took a huge drink - and had to hose him off because he was all sweaty from his run.

The horses were comfortable under their fans, despite temperatures in the barn over 90.  I picked stalls in the afternoon, groomed and put on fly spray, and topped up hay and water - taking each horse to the outdoor tanks for a drink.  Tomorrow, after the cold front comes through, we ride . . . three days without riding seems like an eternity to me . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment